Monday, September 26, 2011

Steamboat Holiday

So, I'm officially in my Offseason, though this is the freshest I've felt going into this season in the 5 years I've been a pro cyclist. Hmmm, maybe the key to feeling good in September is starting your season in May? Too bad I don't think that would fly with most team managers. The season ended up well for me. Too few 'W's for my liking but considering this whole year is a bonus for me, I'm very pleased with how things went. Riding with the Jamis/Sutter Home Team for this year was a great experience and so much fun!
Rebecca had a conference in Steamboat Springs, CO last week and so I tagged along to do some mountain biking and spend some time in this beautiful resort town that I've only been to once previously. I had an amazing time on the mountain biking trails there. I don't know if it was the weather (60-70 degrees), the fact that it is their slow season (I encountered only a handful of other bikers/hikers the entire time I was out there), or just because I hadn't been on my mountain bike for ages - but I really enjoyed myself out there! I found the single track challenging but doable for my skill level, meaning I only fell off my bike a couple of times.
Just a taste of the cool Singletrack in the area. Sometimes I wasn't sure if the trail was wide enough for my handlebars!









A nice overlook of Steamboat. We were staying near the base of the ski resort seen in the distance and it was about an hour ride to the overlook.





Things are looking good for 2012. I will be employed to race my bike, which I'm very excited about. And I'm already plotting to take over the (cycling) world. However, I have to remember that offseasons serve a rather important purpose and I need to pump the brakes for a bit. In the meantime, I will sit on my bum more than usual and maybe revisit the hiking trails in our backyard and eventually drop in on my old friend Bear Peak.

3 comments:

otis said...

Employed? ¿con quiĆ©n?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new team who ever it is. I know you will help raise the bar for your team mates and yourself. I can hardly wait to see you racing again. We'll see if we can't get to some of your races in the U.S. next season and of course we'll watch you on the T.V. We're pretty hardcore Tom fans.

Don H

AJ Samuelson said...

When do we get to know this team for 2012?