Monday, February 09, 2009

Picture time

In typical blogging fashion for me, I have some photos and updates from weeks ago...
after our Argentina campaign, we flew straight to training camp in Santa Rosa. With quite a few new additions to the team, it was good to finally meet each other and try out the new gear and equipment (which some of us had already done in Argentina and Wellington). Have I ever mentioned that we have about the best equipment sponsorship on the planet? We also got to spend quite a bit of time chatting and riding with most of our sponsors. A lot of times training camp is the only opportunity to meet many of the sponsors or at least get to spend some time with them, so it's nice to be able to get to know some of the personalities behind the forces that allow our team to exist. Besides a few of us getting sick at camp as well, everything went according to plan and it looks as though we are going to have a fun year of working together and winning races.
The Tour of California is coming up quick so that's been preoccupying most of my thoughts of late. It sounds like I'll have quite the friends and family contingent cheering there for parts of the race so that'll be a bonus. I've been feeling pretty good and gaining confidence coming into this year's edition, but if you haven't noticed, there is a pretty impressive start list for the race so I'm not sure what my fitness and confidence will translate to when head-to-head against the best in the world. All I know is that Bissell is going to race hard and make opportunities for ourselves. Let the circus begin!

San Luis was beautiful most of the time we were there but about once a week they'd have this crazy deluge for about 30min. that would cause massive flooding in the streets.

This San Luis store sounds like my kind of place!

This was some sort of roadside altar near San Luis that I thought was interesting.

A team ride doing the Geyser's Loop near Santa Rosa. I love my Boulder roads, but Santa Rosa is no slouch either...

Giampaolo and I mug for the camera at his restaurant Riviera. He and his family fed the Bissell team (no small feat!) 3 of the 7 nights of our camp w incredible italian food. Thank you Pesce family!

This one is for my dad: it's a picture of new bossman Wohlberg's '64 Buick Le Sabre wagon with roof rack. Bench seats, 8 track player, 401cc engine, etc. It pretty much demands respect. I think the night time picture adds to the mystique.

Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom I have to comment. Good luck in the TOC I'am looking forward to seeing the Prolog and time trials in Versus. You were great last year and we are in your corner for this year. Good Luck on the new racing season and Great TT in San Luis.

Uncle Don H.

Unknown said...

Tom,
Had a great opportunity last year to be at TOC for final stage. Rain coming down hard, even my wife who really had no desire to be at a bike race had a great time. Your performance on those final laps was inspiring.

I was hoping circumstance would get me out there again this year, but not going to happen.

Best wishes to you and the Bissel team!

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I got a chance to meet you after your amazing ride in Pasadena last year. You were incredibly gracious and humble. Have a great ride at ToC this year! I will be cheering you on in Solvang this year.

Michael Driscoll said...

Just saw your time trial (on TV), way to go!

Looks a lot nicer in Solvang than it does here in Denver.