Friday, September 12, 2008

Ouch

Yesterday hurt...a lot. So much so that I've been claiming that it was one of the hardest days I've had on a bike. The 90mi course was finished with a 46.8kph (29mph) average. This was on a very challenging, hilly course with no flat road anywhere. It was a good thing that we had total participation on the team trying to get in the break, because there were probably a dozen or so serious breakaway attempts that were absolute leg breakers for those in the moves. The decisive break didn't go until 100k into the race. I was a tad smashed by the end but still tried a late move (1500m to go) that was weak and extremely futile.
After the stage, BJM and I were asked to sign some autographs at the Michelob Ultra tent (race sponsor). Our appearance fee consisted of one cold Michelob each. Mmmmm..recovery.

After falling victim to a viral infection and dropping out after St. 1, Jeremy has taken a new career path? as a t.v. commentator for the race. Have we found the next Paul Sherwen?

Okay, 3 stages to go. Gotta stay attentive and keep out of trouble.

7 comments:

thek2 said...

not sure how much of a recovery you get off "calorie free" beer? ;-)

Lyne said...

2 more days...

oh and thank you.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I know your cousin Zeek in Mason City and I watched you race today in STage 6 of the Tour of Missouri... What a finish to the stage, just exciting pack sprint at the end. Just thought I drop a line and say Good Race, and I have enjoyed follow the tour as it travels through my state.

Jim

Anonymous said...

You should be getting a disc of the TOC in the mail soon. Let us know if you get it and I'm sorry we're so slow about it. Great season and it was just awesome being able to watch it.

Good luck in the future

D & D

Lyne said...

thanks Tom
http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/tom-zirbel-wants-to-tackle-europe/

thek2 said...

off season updates?

Anonymous said...

We just watched it on Versus today...so delayed....but we loved to pick you out. And you are very inspiring! I hope you go to Europe because I think you will do very well there!